A library re-imagined
Kevin Street Library is uniquely placed, straddling the retail heart of the city and the traditional communities of inner city Dublin. The building itself is a modest but important one, and though not a protected structure, it has served as a public library for over 100 years. It boasts beautiful reading rooms that have been hidden from public view for many years. The interior is bright, airy, and charming with substantial natural light.
Following the brief set out by Dublin City Council, Thedesignconcept presented the winning bid and the end result is something extremely special. The newly refurbished library now contains:
- An adult library space where modern furniture blends seamlessly with the traditional feel of the room. Shelving is flexible and can be easily moved to cater for public events. High back chairs with acoustic properties and fitted tables give users a sense of privacy and somewhere to use their own laptops/devices.
- An adjacent authentic reading room to sit, relax and enjoy the latest read in, with beautiful walnut and leather chairs that complement the restored shelving perfectly.
- A display area with virtual exhibitions running on digital screens alongside physical displays.
- Computers downstairs that are housed on a stunning “tree inspired” desk unit with integral overhead lighting.
- The first floor has a suite of PC’s along with private study spaces housed on state of the art furniture.
The children’s zone is incredible! It features a giant 84” TV Screen, PC’s and an interactive digital table, a feature storytelling chair and vibrant elephant chairs for the little ones to play or sit on and flick through a huge selection of books. For the more energetic there’s even a SLIDE - a feature that will be remain a fond memory throughout the lives of the children who use it.
Paul Fusco - Divisional Librarian - Finance & Facilities Management, Dublin City Public Libraries said:
“Working with the Design Concept is always a pleasure… and not just because they’re all very nice people. There’s the pleasure in knowing that the hard work and care that we’ve put in to getting our libraries to fit-out stage is appreciated and carried on by The Design Concept staff from the person who’s completing the tender documents to the person who puts in the last bolt before leaving. There’s the pleasure in knowing that there’s the safety net of the Design Concept’s experience to catch you when you’re taking a risk. There’s the pleasure in seeing your vision translated into actual design solutions. There’s the pleasure in seeing your library users walking through the doors on the day of reopening and watching their reactions. To Iain, Daniela, John, Liz and Sharn, thanks for all your efforts in making Kevin Street Library a jewel in our branch network.”