The library was founded in 1966 in memory of Dag Hammarskjöld, Secretary General of UN 1953-1961 and today it is a depository library for the United Nations
The library is located in Regnellianum; a listed building, built in 1891-1892, with stucco architecture in the Renaissance style. Regnallianum is part of the history of Uppsala University and the architect was Carl Axel Ekholm.
A listed building results in some challenges with the interior of a library where the shelving needs to be adapted for the characteristics of each room with regards to plumbing, sockets and wiring on the floor. The shelving system we have worked with in this project and that now decorates the library and fulfill the needs is Frontline with lacquered panels and shelves in ash.